Whenever I take leaders on a development journey, I ask them why they are there, what they want to learn and what outcomes they want. I get many explanations, goals, ideas or mission statements and the end results are always diverse and varied.
The first step on the journey is knowing oneself and connecting with yourself is the key to connecting with others. Our outcomes may be vastly different, but on a human level, our needs are the same.
Self-awareness helps us to connect with ourselves
Being self-aware means that we know what we want and what motivates us. We can explain our actions and emotions and we try to see our actions in the context of how they affect others.
As humans, we all seek our purpose, the reason why we are here and we need understanding. Coaching gives us some tools to help us along the way.
Coaching tools or tips
- Do daily self-reflection, we can all benefit from being better.
- Keep a journal, writing about our day helps us gain perspective and see things clearer.
- Ask for feedback, at home and at work.
- Try techniques like mindfulness, or meditation, it can lead to a calmer more confident you.
- Take a personality or psychometric test, you may learn something you didn’t know about yourself.
I use some of these tools myself, they may not work for everyone, but I am sure one of them would suit you. Perhaps let me know in the comments which one works for you.
Contact me if you want to talk about coaching and how to take the first steps to know yourself better.
Mobile: +27 82 804 6391